Finding a speech therapist that is right for you or for your child can be challenging. It’s important they need to be a good match for your child’s unique needs and goals. In this blog, we dive into the key factors to consider when selecting a speech therapist so that you’re equipped to make an informed decision.
Speech therapists or speech pathologists are experts in supporting people of all ages to improve both verbal and non-verbal communication skills as well as helping to:
- Boost social and conversation skills
- Increase literacy skills and abilities
- Understand body language and non-verbal cues
- Pronounce words and sentences more clearly
- Improve specific vocal concerns
- Chew and swallow safely
- Use augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) tools
Five Qualities to Look for in a Speech Pathologist
How can you tell if you are choosing the best speech pathologist for your needs? Here are some tips to follow:
1. Aligned Experience
It can be really useful to find a therapist who has experience with supporting individuals with similar challenges. While every person is unique and what you aim to get out of therapy is also personal, it can be comforting to know your therapist has a good understanding of your needs and goals.
2. Great Listening and Communication Skills
You can tell if you have chosen a good speech therapist if you observe the presence of strong listening skills in addition to a broad understanding of your goals and objectives. It’s important that you are heard and that your therapist is clear on how they can support you.
3. Incorporates Preferences and Interests in Sessions
Incorporating preferences and interests in therapy sessions supports engagement and learning. You can assist your therapist by letting them know about your interests or the favourite activities of the person in your care. This way, sessions will be more engaging – so everyone benefits!
4. Commitment and Persistence
A great speech therapist will continuously encourage clients, never giving up, even when it’s challenging. You want a therapist who is in your corner and knows what inspires you so that you feel empowered and supported.
5. Adaptable and Innovative
Your speech pathologist must be flexible and dynamic and stay abreast of changes and updates in the industry. At Therapy Connect, we pride ourselves on staying up to date on the latest research and innovations so we can provide you or your child with leading edge and evidence-based therapy.
Why do people choose Therapy Connect?
- We are the leading online NDIS speech therapy provider in Australia.
- At Therapy Connect, we provide tailored therapy for our clients.
- We help you achieve your goals at your pace and in your space.
- Our team is composed of more than 70 experienced, outcomes-focused therapists.
- Our experienced and knowledgeable team use various techniques to address each individual’s unique needs.
- Our team are committed to helping you reach your goals efficiently and effectively.
- With Therapy Connect, you can trust that you are getting the highest quality of care.
Now that you know more about the factors to consider when choosing a speech therapist, we hope you feel confident in your decision. If you need help finding a qualified and experienced speech therapist for your needs, Therapy Connect is here for you. We deliver unbeatable speech therapy telehealth services via evidence-based techniques.
Book an appointment with a Therapy Connect speech pathologist today.